I hope you are having a great week.
Firstly, you may recall my email dated 8th September, where I spoke about the coaching equation Performance = Potential – Interferences? I received so much positive feedback, I thought I would return to it.
What is a "goal"? A quick internet search reveals the following definition: The object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
So why do so many people fail to achieve theirs?
I read somewhere that “The single greatest reason people fail to achieve a goal is that they set the goal for something they didn’t truly love.”
Think of some of the things you have achieved. It may have been financially (saving for a holiday), educationally (achieving your qualifications), or professionally getting your first job; because you really wanted to achieve that goal, you made it happen regardless of any interferences.
Three things really seem to get in our way of reaching our ambition. However, if you can identify these and accept that they are simply part of the process, then you can treat them for what they are--just things to handle--rather than letting them stop you.
1. Concerns: Things that come to mind as soon as you decide on a goal. Things like,
· The job market is so difficult at the moment
· I do not have enough time to go for it
2. Fears: As soon as you decide on a goal, you suddenly experience feelings of fear, and you will come up with loads of false evidence that will seem real to you.
· What if I am not good enough?
· What if it’s too much work?
3. Roadblocks: These things may be out of your control, which could hinder your progress once you get over concerns and fears. Things like,
· There is a restructure, and the role is changed
· Other people stand between you and your goal
We all know there are many more; however, your “goal” will be so much nearer once you can address these interferences.
If you think you may need help in any aspect of achieving your goals, reach out. Coaching is about maximizing potential and getting the client from where they are to where you want to be. Visit my website at www.edgebarbados.com or drop me an email to start a conversation.
Enjoy the rest of your week and follow your dreams.